In this article, we will look at some of the best budget hiking backpacks on the market in 2023.
Hiking is one of the best ways to enjoy the beauty of nature while also engaging in exercise that sharpens your body and mind.
Hiking helps to push oxygen into your lungs and heart keeping them healthy, builds strong leg and upper body muscles, and improves mental health by helping to strengthen your connection with nature.
However, while the benefits of hiking are well known, the biggest mistake every hiking beginner makes is not taking the right backpack with them.
This is why to help you find the best budget hiking backpack for your next adventure we have provided a breakdown of some of the best budget hiking backpacks available!
*Disclaimer: This article contains affiliate links, which means should you click and purchase, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
What are some of the best budget hiking backpacks for 2022?
1. The North Face Borealis Backpack 28 Litre
One of the best budget hiking backpacks thanks to its Flex vent technology, this 28-litre pack provides fantastic organisational space and a comfortable design to help with endurance on hikes.
This is the backpack I personally use since replacing my Berghaus Twenty-Four-Seven-Plus for more space and a handy laptop storage compartment so I can work on the road. A great choice for “digital nomads”.
• Includes a specially designed FlexVent suspension system with breathable meshing and a cushioned back panel.
• Features two extended mesh water bottle pockets which can also double as multi-use pockets so you always have easy access to your gear.
• Uses durable nylon polyester that provides a sturdy and reliable backpack and comes with a lifetime warranty from North Face, meaning you can be confident it will last for ever.
This is by far one of the best budget hiking backpacks for endurance-based hikes and a great day hiking backpack with its reliable material and design. You can be confident that you will be able to go further with the Borealis backpack.
2. Locallion 20 Litre Hiking Daypack
The smallest backpack on our list is hands down the lightest hiking daypack available. Despite its smaller carrying space, it makes up for it in comfort and is the cheapest of our budget backpacks.
• Uses high-quality tear and water-resistant material to ensure durability.
• Features a specialised sternum strap that helps to distribute weight and keeps your posture aligned.
• Comes with a mesh lining and airflow system that improves body temperature control.
A great lightweight backpack for short-distance day hiking.
3. Osprey Daylite Plus Daypack 20 Litre
Osprey are titans in the backpack game and make some of the most comfortable hiking backpacks in the world. The Daylite pack is no exception as it is comfortable, durable and comes with a great range of features.
• Has a multi-function sleeve that can store a hydration kit.
• Includes a front panel shove-it pocket that can store personal items or a raincoat.
• Has a mesh-covered foam back panel that assists with heat regulation and provides comfortable back support.
The Osprey Daylite pack is the perfect pack for a day-hike and its comfortable design will have you feeling like you are carrying nothing. For this reason, it’s one of the best budget hiking backpacks available.
4. ATBP Military Tactical Molle Rucksack Backpack 40L
This ultra-budget backpack is designed for the inner commando in you and is made from sturdy double-stitched nylon material. There is enough space to carry all the hiking gear you will need for day hiking, camping and long-distance hikes.
• Includes adjustable shoulder, chest, and waist straps to balance load.
• Comes with a hydration kit pocket and holder for a drinking tube.
• Includes a soft pad back area for comfort and 4 easy access pockets to quickly get your gear.
ATBP makes reliable and sturdy gear suitable for any outdoor excursion and this pack is no different which is why it is one of our best budget hiking backpacks.
5. Mountain Top 40 Litre Backpack
This lightweight backpack has multiple pockets for great storage as well as padded and adjustable shoulder straps with breathable mesh. Some great features include:
• A 2-way heavy-duty zipper.
• Space for a hydration pack and a pass hole for a drinking tube.
• Water-resistant fabric.
The Mountain top is a great mid-size starter pack and one of the best day hiking backpacks.
6. Fengdong 40 Litre Waterproof Backpack
A great budget backpack for those unexpected downpours This ultralight pack is made from tear-resistant waterproof material and features plenty of space for all your hiking needs.
• Weighs less than a kilo and features plenty of pockets for storage.
• Has a breathable mesh back and shoulder lining that helps to keep you cool on a humid hike.
• Adjustable double strap reinforcement to help distribute weight equally.
A great day-pack for hiking in humid and rainy environments thanks to its waterproof material and one of our best budget hiking backpacks because of its waterproof capability.
7. Loowoko Hiking Backpack 50L
The perfect backpack for medium-distance hikes and camping trips. This 50-litre budget pack comes with enough space to fit hiking and camping equipment and includes 8 adjustable straps to help distribute weight.
• Includes several side pockets for easy access to equipment like a phone or water bottle.
• Adjustable waist and chest strap allow for comfortable weight distribution.
• The back of the pack is made of breathable elastic material which is comfortable and includes sponge filling for added lumbar support.
A great medium size backpack that provides enough space for medium to long-distance hiking routes in tough conditions.
8. Berghaus Twenty-Four Seven Plus 25 Litre.
Berghaus is a well-respected outdoors brand because of its reliable and sturdy designs and this backpack is no different. With 25 litres of space, you can pack everything you need for a day-hike.
I used this backpack for day hiking and short trips for many years and it served me very well!
• Features a sturdy polyester fabric which resists stains and prevents scuff damage along the bag.
• The back is built with a vented foam flow system that helps with temperature control and keeps you cool on your hikes.
• Has space for a hydration system which allows you to stay refreshed on the move.
The Berghaus is one of the best day hiking backpacks due to its reliability, air flow system and the fact it is hydration container compatible. Definitely one of the best budget hiking backpacks on the market.
9. Deuter Speed Lite 20 Litre Hiking Backpack
A pack with a sleek design that focuses on providing a comfortable hike thanks to fantastic airflow technology and a design that encourages strong posture.
• Uses breathable padding made from 3D ventilated mesh that encourages cool air along your back and improves hiking comfort.
• An athletic V-shape and anatomically shaped shoulder straps helps to spread the weight along your back and provides fantastic lightweight support.
• Compatible with Deuter’s Streamer 2L & 3L hydration systems to help keep you hydrated in hot or humid hiking conditions.
Thanks to its great temperature control technology this is easily one of the best budget hiking backpacks for treks in hot weather conditions.
10. WintMing 70L Camping Hiking Backpack
This is one of the best budget hiking backpacks for long-distance or multi-day hikes thanks to its huge 70 Litre carrying space capability and easy carry design.
• Includes enough space to pack everything you would need for long-distance hiking and also comes with elastic drawstrings that can expand the pack, meaning you can take everything you could ever possibly need.
• Comes with widened and thickened S-type shoulder straps as well as breathable back support to allow for weight distribution and great ventilation.
• This tactical military backpack is made of 600D oxford fabric and water-resistant material so you can be confident it will last on even the roughest of terrains.
The WintMing is a great backpack for enjoying rough terrain long distanced hikes thanks to its impressively durable material and huge carrying space allowance and is one of the best larger sized budget backpacks available.
With any of these packs, you will be able to enjoy your favourite hikes comfortably and go further for longer with all the gear you will ever need to enjoy the beauty of the great outdoors.
Need inspiration? Check out my list of the best travel memoirs!
About the author:
Steve Rohan is a writer from Essex, England. He has travelled to over 60 countries, lived in China and Hong Kong, and is now living the digital nomad life on the road.
Steve prefers “slow travel” and has covered much of Europe and Asia by train, bus and boat.
Where I am now: Yerevan, Armenia 🇦🇲